Monday, July 16, 2007

It's an Embarassment for me to be Writing this Flippin' Blog

In a my continuing efforts to include my wife in each of my posts, I would like to recount a conversation I had with my bride the day after the All-star game.

Jessica: Don't you think you're being a little pessimistic? I mean, the Giants might not make the playoffs but are they really the worst team in the west?

Barnetto: I don't know... I suppose they could come out of the gate and sweep the Dodgers... But that's pretty much the only thing that could hold this season together.

Needless to say, my sweep prediction came true, only the wrong way around. The boys in blue dealt us a season ending 3-game sweep. The Dodgers have now beaten us 11 straight times at home. So my prediction of a Giants sweep was sort of a jinx. So in an effort to double-jinx the Giants, I would like to predict that the Giants will lose every single game for the remainder of the season.

Barry Bonds is another story altogether. 0-for-his-last-20, Barry showed his disgust with the situation by melting down in front of the prying eyes of the beat writers. Tipping over a laundry bin and uttering something unfit for print, Barry is pretty much done. Oh he'll get his record, I'm sure. Just don't be surprised if that is all he does. He'll hit 7 or 8 more bombs, then call it quits. Whether it's a trip to the DL followed by an off season retirement, or a farewell tour filled with pinch hit at bats, this is it for Barry.

It's kind of fitting that the end is brought on by the Dodgers. That's baseball's great cycle I suppose.

No comments: